Monday, November 19, 2007

The First of Many...

UPDATE:
I finished Sophie Blanchard's legs and flag! Here she is put together, although not yet with the little brads. Some background art and a blurb about her life will be included with the doll.

**********************************************************************************

This is the first of (what I hope will be) many paper dolls that I'll be creating and making available for purchase. This one, inspired by the life of Sophie Blanchard, a female French aeronaut who live in the 1800s, is unfinished. I have yet to design her white flag, her legs, and perhaps the boat-like basket in which she floated in her hot-air balloons. Her head, body, arms, et cetera are all separate pieces, attaching with tiny brads that allow the shapes to swivel.




She is cut from 3-ply Bristol board and will be accompanied by a description of her and her true-life antics. Flat background art will be included with her in a poly bag envelope. If anyone has any suggestions or requests for a paper doll, let me know! I already have pages of notes on ones that I hope to create. This first one may be a little awkward in styling and such, but since she is only the first, I expect that my technique will improve as I work on more of them.

I will post more as she (and others) are finished!

Learn about my inspiration (thanks, Dylan!) here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sophie_Blanchard

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is a fabulous idea. Sometimes I worry about you stagnating a bit with AG, but this is what I have been expecting from you! Absolutely wonderful doll, I hope you make many more. We need to market you better :)

~Mandeli